Thursday, June 9, 2011

did you know?


I was reading this the other day and it made me really think. Growing up I feel I was very aware of the importance of exercising and eating right, but since being married I have really seen mine and bens health habits going down hill. The past couple of months I have been a LOT more aware of our health, and I have been purchasing healthy foods such as only whole grains, fruits, vegebables, nuts, legumes, ect.. and we have been trying to go on runs/walks, and doing yoga and pilates on the days we don't go out. But we definetly have lots to improve on. I'v been reading womens health magazines, and articals online trying to learn more about nutrition and health and I found this...


Sitting is killing you
As we enter the second decade of the 21st century, there is one thing nearly all modern Americans have in common: WE SIT ALL THE TIME. Though our great shift towards computer-based work has done great things for productivity, it has, unfortunately, done terrible things for our health. From increased risk of heart disease and obesity in the long term, to sharply hampered cholesterol maintenance in the short term, the negative health effects of sitting are starting to weigh heavily against the benefits. Even the medical field – the greatest advocates of reducing sitting time – is plagued by this new health issue. Though doctors and nurses get plenty of walking time, it usually falls to the secretaries, billers, and coders to do all the sitting. And, as we can see, something has to change.
Whether tending our crops or hunting wild boar, most of our lives as humans we lived on our feet. But with the advent of computers, tv's, and the desk job, we're sitting down more then ever before in history, 9.3 hours a day, even more time than we spend sleeping (7.7 hrs). Our bodies weren't built for that, and it's starting to take its toll.
Go to this website to read the whole thing
http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/

this kind of scares me because as a dental hygienist I do sit a lot. And that really is how many, if not most, jobs are out there these days. Read this and follow the tips it has to help improve your body, and your health.

1 comment:

Darren and Brandi said...

Funny you should mention that... my father in law is looking into getting a standing desk. It's adjustable so you can either sit at it with a chair, or raise it and do all your computer work while standing. For the time being he has a homemade version and he says he feels so much better when he does his work standing all day. I wonder if my mother in law showed him the same article???

: . i carry your heart with me, i carry it in my heart . :
-e.e. cummings

My Blog List

Followers